Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Last names are back!



Ten years ago, when you created a Second Life account, you chose your first name and then selected a Last name from a drop down menu, but this abruptly halted in 2010 when all new accounts were given the surname of Resident.

Ever since then the community in Second Life have been asking for the return of Last Names, but since Second Life was designed in a way that your name could never be changed, it was a herculean task to re-code all aspects of the grid to permit a surname of Resident to be changed to something else.

But now, if you have a premium account, for the one-off cost of $39.99 + Vat (if applicable) you can, at last change both your First and Last name!  Head to your dashboard to make any changes.

The actual list of available last names you can choose will change on a regular basis.  I asked if I was unhappy with my new selection, could I ever return to my original Last name and I was told that I could.  Additionally you can change your First name only and retain your original Last Name.

For a lot more information about this, see the labs blog here

No comments: